Thursday, May 30, 2013

Energy bar

Especially for Brooke:

I wanted to make a homemade energy bar. But the recipes I found didn't include all the ingredients I want to throw in! The Costco Sunrise Energy Bars are really super, but no one seems to have a copy cat version yet.

So I combined and modified (heavily) a recipe for energy bars with another for granola. This is still a little crumbly, so if you have suggestions please fire away.

Ingredients

3 1/2 c oats
1 1/2 c mixed seeds/nuts; I used 1/4 c each of
            walnut,
            almond,
            cashews (nuts chopped or slivered),
            sunflower,
            pumpkin;
           and 1 T each of flax seed and sesame seed
3/4 c. mixed dried fruit; I used 1/4 c each of
           blueberry,
           craisins,
           apple
1 T cinnamon

1 1/2 c peanut butter
2/3 c agave
1/4 c canola oil
Optional: chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients together. Add peanut butter, agave, and oil.

Press firmly into 13x9 pan lined with parchment
Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
Top with chocolate chips, bake another minute to soften the chips.
Spread chips.
Cool or freeze to solidify, then cut into 24 bars.
The bars may seem small compared to the length of a sunrise bar, but they are thick and VERY filling.

5 comments:

  1. THANK YOU FOR POSTING! These were amazing. I thought about experimenting and trying to make some last night but didn't end up having the time. Thank goodness, because now I can copy your yummy recipe! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this using coconut oil instead of canola oil. Especially if it's refrigerated, coconut oil tends to hold a bit better. Also, maybe dates as part of the dried fruit? Those tend to be rather sticky. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also I would suggest subbing half of the oats for slightly ground oats or corse almond meal, or something finer that raw oats to make it all stick better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried this yet, but plan to. ground flax seeds with some water (flax egg) work stupendously for binding bars, so I'm going to try that in addition

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this with coconut oil, a 4oz cup of unsweetened applesauce, 3 T of brown sugar ( instead of the agave). I also ground half the amount of oats as suggested in the comment section, and also used raisins & cranberries& dates for the dried fruits. Delish!

    ReplyDelete