Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Bill: Social Security usually good service but...

Bill was required by Long-Term Disability to also apply for Social Security Disability benefits.  Dealing with SS has been fairly easy: initial on-line application, papers sent, signed, turned in documents to be copied at the local SS office -- well, a bit of a wait there, and the security screening, but not a big deal.

Until

Yesterday. I called to update, as required, that there had been a new doctor and a new test. The message was to expect a 50 minute wait, but I could request a call back instead, and not lose my place in line. Good deal. The call was a little more than an hour later. FIRST the guy couldn't find Bill's case in the system. "Did you apply on-line or in an office?"  He asked this three times as I hear his keyboard tapping. Yes, applied Online, papers received, turned in, additional documents....  "Okay, my fault, I see it but... Can you hold?" 

Sure.

I park at the outlet stores, walk in, make my purchase, and he finally comes back on the line.

"The case is completely under the control of the local office now, so here is the number."  But he gives me a number that is disconnected.  So I got the number from my paperwork when I got home.  Silly me, trying to take care of administrative stuff during drive time.

No comments:

Post a Comment