Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Tuesday, May 3, 2016: Life's Transitions

This two weeks have been very challenging for Mike.  With all the setbacks he has had the past two months, he is now falling more than once a day. Most of it seems neurological; the muscles are strong enough, so sometimes he is okay, but other times he just crumples when he tries to transfer from the bed to wheelchair (or to the lift chair or to the car).  We have used the hoyer lift eight times.

I talked with daughter Dianne (who, if you didn't know, is the charge nurse at a continuing care community).  She explained some options, and observed she's been concerned about Mike's increasing needs. She and I had an opportunity to talk with Mike later that day. Mike was fairly lucid.  In short, he understands he needs more care than we can give him at home. His main concern is he doesn't want to be 'trapped.' We talked about that, and what it means to him, and covered some other topics. I reassured him I was not 'dumping' him right then and there. 

So we will move forward, timing and location to be determined.  I keep telling myself being a caregiver also means knowing my own limits, and what is best for him.  Yes, I keep thinking it between and through bouts of crying.

Side note: Ben texted Brooke the previous day, said he's worried about me. I didn't know until after our talk with Dianne. On Sunday, Brooke said maybe I should get a maid to come in the mornings for a while. Later, in her own take-charge way, she messaged me "My friend Sabrina is going to come clean at your house this week. Not sure when yet. She's working today but will let me know her schedule later tonight.".  Yes, Sabrina came Monday, and she will be back on Wednesday and Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment