Thursday, October 17, 2013

Bill, Wednesday Oct. 16: ready to transfer; eye doctor

Yes, Bill is ready for the next step before going home: in-patient rehabilitation. Sounds like a step backwards, right, going to a hospital? Nope, that's the design. Intensive in-patient rehab, with at least 3 hours and a goal of 5 hours to work the work of getting ready to go home. The transfer may happen Friday. Yikes and Yippee!

Meanwhile, Bill does most of the effort on his bed-to-chair transfers. And I got to see him "drag" himself down the hall in the wheelchair. Bill called it 'drag.'  I call it "pull-and-roll."  I hope I can get a video tomorrow. He locks his right ankle under his left ankle to support that still-weak left leg. Then he walks that right foot: forward, press down and pull, while also using his right arm to roll.

While he has therapy in the current center Thursday, Ayn and I will be busy with logistics for the transfer: do we book a time for the Tri-Met lift? Does he use his current chair for the transfer, and we bring it back? It belongs to Marquis, the care facility. Or should I bring the wheelchair my husband occasionally uses? Disability insurance probably wants to know about the change -- I swear I heard a "tsk-tsk" when short-term disability found out he had gone from the hospital to the skilled nursing facility.

Ayn got message from the neuro-eye doctor. You may remember we asked the stroke center last week for a referral. So cool, and they have appointments not only at OHSU but at the hospital to where Bill is going.

Bill has been busy using his new mini-iPad. I took Ayn for a couple of quick errands, and Bill "Face Time'd" her while we were gone. They are so cute together. Let's see, what else does Bill do for fun? He tries to clean the board on Jeopardy every night. He's interested in getting some logic puzzle books. And they decided to give Lumosity a try, the brain training games. I was wary of it because they do so MUCH advertising. But occupational therapy said they've heard good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment