Saturday, October 28, 2017

More Sleeping, Less Aware

Hi there, Brooke here. I forced (aka nicely insisted) my mom take the guest bed tonight and let me be on couch duty. I'll try to catch a little sleep soon, although Grandma's snoring makes it difficult...

Come to think of it, Grandma would be mortified that I'm publicly talking about her snoring. She'd probably insist she doesn't snore! But anyone who has slept under the same roof as her in the last (+/-) 15 years will back me up -- she snores loud and often.

It's endearing.

/

When I arrived mid-afternoon today, there was a house full of family. It was really neat. We've seen a lot of family and dear friends come to visit this week, which Grandma has appreciated. She's a woman who brings people together and makes them feel welcome. In these final days, the tradition continues.

Today (Saturday) was tough. When I was last here, on Wednesday, Grandma was still able to converse with people. Today she was mostly asleep, but in her brief waking moments, she didn't seem to recognize any visitors. For instance, she called for my mom (Julie), but didn't recognize Julie when she came to help. I don't think she knew who I was at any point today.

The morning might bring a brief spell of lucidity, but overall it looks like Grandma's awareness of people and circumstances has slipped away. It's hard to see this marked decline from just a couple of days ago. I think we're all feeling heavy hearted tonight.

If you're a praying person, please offer up one for Grandma to be at ease, and another for her family to feel the tender mercies of the Divine. Then hug your loved ones and do something nice for a stranger -- the world could always use a little more kindness. It's what Grandma would do.

1 comment:

  1. Too late for tissue alert. It is heartwarming to see people here, and heartbreaking when some realize they are seeing her for the last time. Yes, Brooke is correct, Mom is in a significant decline. She is comfortable. She still loves and knows she is loved

    ReplyDelete