Monday, February 22, 2010

Fun calorie app

Update on the Droid phone: yes we've kept them. So now I'm trying to get the most out of mine.

Today's inspiration: I saw a woman at work who has lost a lot of weight (also a bicyclist), and remembered she was talking a year ago about an app she download (back in the old iPhone days) to track calories. So I went out and found a Droid app that is loads of fun, easy, and I've only started to use it.

Number one cool thing: bar code scanner. If I have a package (box, can, bottle, whatever), the phone can scan and analyze the bar code and return ALL of the nutrition information. So at work I scanned my Quaker chewy bar, and it knew 90 calories, 1.5 fat, 1g protein, etc. Even that it was 2 Weight Watcher's points. Then I just touch an icon to add it to my food diary. Of all the foods I've scanned so far, only one was a problem: my lite yogurt scanned only as low-fat, so it said something like 175 calories when it's really 80. Easy to fix, though.

Second cool thing: restaurant look-ups. A specific drawback I found, though, is it can be limited. I looked up Chevy's (had lunch there last week), but it only brought up four menu items.

Other quick look-ups include brand names, store brands, or just food name ("banana"). And I can save meals, like if I often have chai tea and banana and cereal for breakfast, then I can easily bring that up as a group. Or building a particular sandwich or a homemade dinner dish.

Anyway, I'm having fun with food!

2 comments:

  1. Mom, that is an awesome app! Although worthwhile, food diaries can be cumbersome, but it sounds like the app you found actually makes it fun.

    Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my 99 friends has this app on her phone. She was showing it to me last month at a meeting. She loves it. It seemed complicated but she says not. And like you said, she also uses groups for those meals she repeats. As Brooke so 'apptly' put it 'sweet. Mom

    ReplyDelete