Sunday, February 28, 2010

My bro Michael

My brother Michael has cancer. Prostate cancer. He said I could blog about it, so here I am, but what do I say now?

Yes the last blog entry was also a medical issue, and I really wanted to avoid getting stuck in that rut. You know, old people comparing their scars or Grandma keeping her gall stones in a jar. I surely hope my writing here is different by just giving a little info (not TMI), a little background, a little prayer.

The few people who I know have read some postings here already know that Dad died from prostate cancer over four years ago. But it is also highly treatable, and we know more men who are survivors than not. And the scans came back showing it has not spread, yeah! Still, it gives us pause. He will be in town mid-March for pre-treatment visits at OHSU, then back in April for treatment.

I know he will be okay, but it's just not fair, you know? He is such a hard worker, and he made a big change a year ago to completely leave the construction industry. Easy choice, since the industry tanked and it had taken a big physical toll on him. He fell into nursing care as a CNA, and I can see he would be just a great personality to gently move people through their daily needs in the facility.

More importantly, he married Julie Ann 18 months ago, and adopted Logan. Logan needs both of these great parents in his life, so Michael will do what he needs to do against this latest challenge.

There you have it. A little info, a little background, a little prayer.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie,
    Wow, sorry to hear about Michael... We will pray, pray and pray some more for him. I am so grateful that this was caught early before it spread and that it looks good for him... Please keep us updated and I will find a way to send him a card to let him know we are thinking about him...
    Congrats on the walk today, I, seeing the rain, went for a massage instead!
    Hugs,
    Missy

    ReplyDelete